Ricky Riccardi At The Institute of Jazz Studies!

Hello good readers. I know I've been missing in action since Valentine's Day and I'm writing to today to ask for forgiveness because I'm going to be missing for a few more. Don't worry, the reason's a good one: I'll be spreading my love of Pops at the Institute of Jazz Studies this Wednesday night, February 20. It's my third "Research Roundtable" in three years and like the other two, the subject will by Armstrong's later years. But where my first two lectures focused on music samples, Wednesday night's will focus almost solely on rare footage that I have collected over the years. Right now, it looks like I'm showing 18 clips, a few of which are on YouTube, but otherwise, most of it is pretty hard to find. The clips will range from 1952 to 1970 and I'll throw a few audio nuggets in as I go along.

Thus, as I continue to tighten it up and make sure it'll all fit in the allotted two hours, I've had absolutely no time to pump out a blog. Thus, once Wednesday night passes and I exhale for a day or so, I hope to have something fresh for the weekend (though in the meantime, maybe I'll post a YouTube video or two).

But for those who live in the New York or New Jersey area, you're more than invited to come out to this Wednesda's lecture, which is free and open to the public. It's taking place at the Institute of Jazz Studies, which is located on the fourth floor of the Dana Library at Rutgers Newark. Click here to go to the IJS website, which has a link for directions (and don't be fooled by the schedule of research roundtables, which still has me listed for April 16, my original date). So if you're in the neigborhood, I hope to see you at 7 on Wednesday night and if you're not, sit tight and I'll be back to spreading the gospel of Pops (in blog form) in just a few days! Red beans and ricely yours.....Ricky

Comments

Popular Posts